Chefs at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, in Hawai‘i are always creating delicious island-inspired dishes. Always a menu favorite, poke, which means “cut piece” or “small piece” in Hawaiian, is the perfect seafood starter to share.
To bring a bit of the Hawaiian Islands into your kitchen, check out the fun video and full recipe below for Tuna Poke with Avocado Mousse!
Tuna Poke with Avocado Mousse
Serves 6 as an appetizer
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons yuzu juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 2 pounds fresh sushi-grade tuna, cubed
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- Rice chips
FOR TUNA POKE:
1. Whisk together soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, yuzu juice, lime juice, garlic, sesame seeds, vinegar, wasabi powder, and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Add tuna to mixture and toss to coat. Season with pepper, to taste. Refrigerate 5 to 10 minutes.
FOR AVOCADO MOUSSE:
1. Chop avocados into large pieces and place in a blender. Add heavy cream and blend until smooth.
2. Season with lime juice, salt, and white pepper, to taste.
1. Place avocado mousse in a piping bag. Pipe 3 parallel lines of avocado mousse in the center of each plate.
2. Divide tuna poke evenly among six 2.5-inch square molds. Place on top of the avocado mousse.
3. Serve with rice chips.
Cook’s Note: Poke (pronounced POH-kay) means “cut piece” or “small piece” in Hawaiian. Be sure to use sushi-grade tuna because the fish is raw. Yuzu is a sour Japanese citrus fruit, and you can purchase in some supermarkets and in Asian grocery stores. If you can’t find it, substitute 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1 tablespoon orange juice.
This post, Recipe: Tuna Poke with Avocado Mousse at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa first appeared on the Disney Parks Blog.